Friday, March 7, 2014

¡Semana Capísima!‏ week 23

Family!!!
This time of the year always gets me pumped. The other Elders call the
weather right now just about an early September… For me, its about a great
Thanksgiving weather. Before, I was excited by state swim, state marching band,
and all the exciting things happening in the fall time of the year. The smell
(besides the sewers) gets my energy going for some unreal swimming excitement.
The carnaval drums fit right in to this time of the year as well (minus Mr. Vogt´s
bullhorn and 7 in the morning marching band practices.) However, right now, this
fall weather is getting me pumped to go invite people to come unto Christ and be
baptized! Better than I could have ever imagined, that is for sure. I haven´t had all
that much success in bringing people to the waters of baptism as of right now;
however, there have been many times where I have received witness from the
spirit that this is the work that the Lord wants me to be doing.

I realized that I am so much more driven by the needs of other people right now,
and that which the Lord wants of me. Usually I have to direct my thoughts on other
people, and push myself to stop thinking in my own needs and selfish wants. This week,
I realized that these thoughts come more naturally, and I am thinking in the needs and
desires of other children of God. I know that I have so much work left in this area; however,
I know that the Lord is helping me and answering my prayers.

Elder Child taught me that if you take a super cold shower while fasting it takes the
thirst away. Totally works! I will miss him extremely, especially the great example of
a leader he has been for me these last 4 months in Argentina.

Right now I am reading the Book of Mormon, focusing on leadership traits. I have
noticed that leadership traits are the same as traits of Jesus Christ that we find in
Preach My Gospel (I haven´t heard it called that in years it feels like). The common
thread of great scriptural leaders such as Nephi, Lehi, Moroni, Peter, Daniel, and
ultimately, our Savior Jesus Christ is that they are always focusing on the will of the
Lord, and the needs of the other people. Not what other people thought of them, or
the popular choices. As I apply the things I learn as I read the scriptures, I know that
God will help me achieve the potential he has in store for me.

Something I learned in Argentina this week: well, president Heyman gave me permission
to drive the camioneta (pickup) this week! There aren´t stop signs. Just a bunch of one
way streets. The person to the right, or the bigger car, always has the right of way.
WATCH OUT RESISTENCIA!  I´m also learning how to speak porteño.  Elder Fiabane
(from Buenos Aires) and I speak English in the house so that he may learn the language.
Outside of the house, we speak Castellano. So, instead of ´´jo my jamo´´ I´ve got a sweet
´´sho me shamo´´ going on. He hits me every time I speak ´´unpure´´ Spanish.

Oh, I lost the ping pong tournament… so disappointed in myself. President Heyman
can make a MEAN hamburger! Sister Heyman made us BANANA CREAM PIE!!!
(oh all of this was a goodbye party for Elder Child). And Elder Perez´s ´´cowboy beans´´
are in the running with your beans momma ;) He wants to come to the states and open up
´´Bean and Beany Tacos: Tacos for the whole family´´. I don´t think anyone has the heart to
tell him that ´´Beaner´´ is derogatory… he thinks it is just a title like gringo. I don´t want to r
uin his business name..

Letters, even though they take a littlleeee while to get here, ALWAYS help missionaries.
Just saying ;)
I know this is the work of the Lord. He is the head of it. A man tried to deny it and fight
with us. We thanked him for his time, testified, and left. Although he accused us and was
awful to us, I felt so close to my Savior at this time. I know he knows me, and I know he
knows and loves each one of us.
Elder Tyler Kenneth Johnson
Misión Argentina Resistencia
435 Entre Ríos
Resistencia, Chaco 3500
Casilla de Correo #1

Argentina

No comments:

Post a Comment